What’s not to love about the 90s? We had Forrest Gump and The Lion King, Nirvana and The Spice Girls, Party of Five and 90210. Read on for a list of things from the 90s you probably didn’t know and some you should be glad you weren't aware of.
- Remember the mushrooms from the Mario Bros.
games? The ones that made Mario grow into Super Mario or have super speed in Mario Kart. Rumour has it that these cartoon fungi are based on a real mushroom with psychedelic effects that make it feel
as though you are growing in size when consumed. Nintendo insists that the similarities are purely coincidental, but you can decide for yourself...
- In Super Mario 64 (can you tell where I spent most of my childhood), Boo’s fast, high-pitched laugh
is actually just Bowser’s laugh sped up. Go on, get out the old N64 and see for yourself.
- Springfield's favourite hillbillies and incestuous couple Cletus and Brandine have
44 children. In true redneck style some of their names were Crystal Meth, Incest, Dubya, Normal-Head
Joe and Mary WrestleMania.
Simpsons’ dummy sucking was “voiced” by The Simpsons creator Matt Groening. Side fact: Maggie was named after Matt's younger sister Margaret.
- Space Jam, or as I like to refer to it, Michael Jordan's bio pic, is the highest grossing basketball movie of all time (and arguably the best movie of all time).
- The above statement proven by the fact that MJ said this:
- Will Smith's fictionalised version of himself in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was nominated for and won several Television and Music awards. After all, who doesn't love a story all about how Will's life got flipped, turned up-side-down. Turns out NBC didn't, they originally cancelled The Fresh Prince after its fourth season. After a massive outcry from fans, NBC renewed the show.
not only learnt his own lines as the Fresh Prince, he also remembered everyone
else’s dialogue that was in the scene with him. In early episodes, you can see him
mouthing the words of his costars while waiting for his lines to come. Go on, youtube it and see for yourself, or better yet, have a marathon - you can thank me later.
- The Ren and Stimpy Show famously featured numerous references to the fact that
the two were a couple. They lived together, slept in the same bed and Ren
even had a picture of Stimpy on his nightstand. The couple even had simulated
an episode where Ren saws a log on Stimpy’s back, which very clearly looks like
anal sex. Ren rubs his nipples first and when Ren stops, Stimpy asks him to
“finish the job.” It ends with sawdust that looks like ejaculate all over
Stimpy’s back. Oh my!
- The infamous but cruel line "You're a virgin who can't drive," came from Brittany Murphy's character Tai in Clueless. Later, in an interview, Murphy admitted that at the time of filming the movie she was a virgin who could not drive. Her perfect delivery of the "way-harsh" line made it that much more ironic later on.
Hope you enjoyed learnt some thing new!!